Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Sunscreen in the Winter


I am writing this as Winter Storm Juno is hitting New York City, so I feel a little silly, but sunscreen is incredibly important no matter what time of year. I always knew that sunscreen was important. I always made sure to wear it in the summer because I have very fair skin and I use acne medicine that makes my skin burn even easier. I never really thought about how important sunscreen was in the winter though, until I did a project for my chemistry class. I go to the Fashion Institute of Technology for Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing. I did a project on anti-aging products, and that is when I learned that wearing sunscreen rain or shine, no matter what time of year is the MOST beneficial thing you can do for your skin, especially when you are young. Sunscreen is the number one product to keep your skin from premature aging, and who wants to age, especially prematurely. Even on cloudy days you have to wear sunscreen. UV rays penetrate through clouds and fog. You're probably thinking well my makeup has SPF in it so I do not need to worry, well think again. Did you know that you need to apply about six times more foundation than usual to actually get the SPF it says it contains?

Now my two favorite sunscreens are the Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion + and Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid-Lotion. I feel like many people choose not to use sunscreen because it tends to break them out. These two sunscreens do not do that, and I have the most sensitive acne-prone skin so I would know.

Shiseido's comes in SPF 50+. It is lotion, so it is a bit liquidy and you have to seriously shake it before you use it. This sunscreen is a bit pricey, but it is amazing quality so it is worth it. It is priced at $39. I use this more in the summer and especially when I am at the beach and going to be in the sun all day long.

Neutrogena's sunscreen comes in SPF 30 and 55. I use 55. It is liquid-lotion, but not nearly as liquidy as Shiseido's. I love this sunscreen because it is only about $10 at any drugstore. This moisturizes my face without making my face greasy looking. I use this during the winter months for every day use when I am not going to be outside for very long since it is a more affordable price.

What are your favorite sunscreens?
xo, Sam
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Mulberry Lane. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig